Turkle ch 3-4
1) 78-79 How did Turkle use Piaget’s theory to understand the relation between the technologies of modernity and the psychological outlook of modern people?
2) 79-82 How did children respond to the first generation of computer toys? In what ways does this represent a late-modern psychological outlook?
3) 82-85 How does the postmodern psychological outlook compare to the late-modern outlook?
4) 85-87 explain the Turing Test and Searle’s “Chinese room” critique. How does the film “Blade Runner” portray the Turing Test?
5) 88-90 Who or what is Julia? 91-94 compare the reactions of Barry and Lara to Julia.
6) 94-97 What is the Loebner contest? Describe Julia’s performance and her creator’s views.
7) 97-102 Describe the “alternative AI” approaches of Bates, Brooks, and Maes.
8) 105-108 How did Joseph Weizenbaum become the greatest critic of his own invention?
9) 108-114 What happened in attitudes to AI during the transitional postmodernism of the 70s-80s?
10) 114-119 How did the more stable postmodernism of the 1990s resolve the psychological problems presented by AI?
11) 123-124 How does Turkle summarize the various paths to a postmodern attitude toward AI?