1) pp. 79-81 What was the role of Vannevar Bush in analog computing, and how did this device influence the origins of digital computing?
2) pp. 82-83 What aspects of gender were involved in the Moore Schoolís initiation of digital computing?
3) pp. 83-85 What was the Atanasof-Berry computer? How did this contribute to Mauchlyís efforts?
4) 85-89 Describe the roles of Eckert, Mauchly, and Goldstine in the development of ENIAC.
5) 89-93 How did John von Neumann become involved with ENIAC?
6) 93-95 How did von Neumann make use of the cybernetics analogies between natural and artificial systems in his contribution to ENIAC?
7) 95-97 Describe the tensions between the logicians and the engineers in the ENIAC development group.
8) 99-104 Describe the work of Alan Turing and Maurice Wilkes in the development of the first British digital computers.
9) 105 What is the apocryphal tale of Thomas J Watson, and what purpose does that tale serve? 106-107 What were the three types of firms that entered the computer business?
10) 107-112 What problems were encountered in creating UNIVAC and BINAC?
11) 112-117 What innovations characterized IBMís Harvard Mark 1, the SSEC, the CPC, and the TPM? How did John von Neumannís efforts to create a the H-bomb distract IBM from further innovation at this point?
12) 118-119 what were the relations between the UNIVAC, IBM, and Rand? 121-123 What (and who) was involved in the hardware, software, and public demonstration for UNIVAC?
13) 123-124 How did the personality of Watson play into IBMís loss of cutting-edge computing? 124-127 How did IBM manage to compete against Rand?
14) 128-130 Other than the UNIVAC v.s. IBM story, what commercial computer applications were happening in this time period?